Friday, October 23, 2009

Growing Your Own Herbs

I do something 'cooking, not only for home cooked meals are cheaper than eating out every day, but also for health benefits and because in many cases simply know what I do best. E 'was only in the last month or so I started using fresh herbs in my kitchen, and I must say, has made a real difference in the taste of my kitchen, all in a good way! I have also become more generous in my use of spices and I began to wonder what exactly is the difference between herbs and spices? In general, herbs are the leaves of low growing plants such as rosemary, thyme or basil. The spices of the roots, bark, fruits or berries of plants, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and pepper. Now that I've always had a problem with the way herbs are sold in supermarkets. Recipes may require a tablespoon at most, but I had to pay two dollars for a bunch of basil, more than half of whom end up in the compost pile. So I decided to grow my own. There are a couple of different ways that you can go about this. You can use the floor, or you can go hydroponic. The ground method is very basic indeed. You buy the soil, pots and seeds. Put the soil in pots, planting seeds, place in the hot sun, keep moist and in about eight to ten weeks must be collected from your home grown herbs. It can be a little time 'to work, since it must ensure that their herbaceous plants obtain water and nutrients, so if you're not home much, this can not be the way forward. You also need enough light, so that South-facing window is best. I have two indoor cats, you just do not stay out of the growers, no matter how much you punish them, so that the cultivation of potted plants was simply not an option for me. An alternative is hydropower, or a variation thereof. When I started this research, I was overwhelmed by the amount of material I could find, and frankly, the expense of buying all the things we needed was simply not worth it. Fortunately, there are units available to families through a variety of distributors and online stores that are specifically designed so you can grow your own herbs, salads, and even the tomatoes and peppers indoors. Most units are available in a variety of formats, so you buy one that is meaningful to you and your family. I found my super easy to use and very fun to watch my plants bloom in crop size in just four weeks. The only drawback is that most units use the material properties, so you have to buy seed kits and over again and that the cost may increase. The advantages are that most are a light source, so you can place anywhere in your house you have an outlet handy, and nutrients are pre-packaged so that you do not have to worry about getting the required concentration. I also participated in an online forum specifically catering for people who use these devices, and I must say they are addictive! What are you waiting for? Get growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment